Love + Lemons offers freshly made kombucha in a variety of delicious flavors. Kombucha is a probiotic fermented tea that aids in digestion and overall gut health.
Old Fashioned Apple Pie Kombucha
- 1 gallon of purified water
- 6-8 tea bags (black tea)
- 1 cup sugar
- Kombucha Mother Culture (SCOBY)
- 1-2 cups of starter liquid
- 2 Gala apples
- 6-8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Boil 4 cups purified water.
- Add hot water and tea bags to pot or brewing vessel.
- Steep for 7-15 minutes, then remove tea bags.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Add 2-3 ata of purified water to the brewed tea.
- Check to make sure the sweet tea is body temperature or below.
- Once it’s at temperature, add SCOBY and starter liquid.
- Cover with breathable cloth and rubber band or a custom brewer cap.
- Place the container in a warm, ventilated area out of direct sunlight for 7-21 days. (80°F is ideal)
- When ready, set aside SCOBY(s) and starter liquid for the next batch from the top of the current brew.
- Decant kombucha.
- Boil the sliced apples, spices, and a bit of brown sugar together until apples are soft.
- Add the apples and spices to your kombucha.